As a Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, I feel privileged to fulfill my enduring passion to help clients achieve optimal health, enhanced well-being, and increased vitality in their lives. Health coaching perfectly integrates my dedication to each client’s health and wellness, positive psychology, nutrition, mind-body medicine, mindfulness, and movement/exercise by focusing on the total person.
I understand from both training and personal experience the principles of the body’s innate capacity for self-healing and self-regulation. Applying these principles and knowing the bodies capacity to heal, I will support and coach you in mind-body practices, and lifestyle changes that are especially effective with PTSD, anxiety, depression, grief & loss, and chronic stress. I will help you recover from such chronic conditions such as mold toxicity, chemical sensitivities, Lyme, and other environmental toxins. I will partner with you in exploring non-medicinal modalities for chronic/complex pain, migraines and stress management, trauma recovery, and autoimmune conditions, and help you to embrace and live your life fully. Together, we will develop a realistic plan that works for you and achieves the results you are looking for.
In addition to my training as a health coach, I have extensive training in recovery from traumatic brain injury, central nervous system impairment of PTSD (sympathetic and parasympathetic), and modalities such as neurofeedback, Quantitative EEG brain mapping, and cognitive wellness. My experience includes time as a VA guardian for my brother, who was a veteran, with severe PTSD, traumatic brain injuries and trauma that seriously impacted his life and health to the point where he had to learn to walk and use his hands and regulate brain reactivity and mental stability.
As an expression of my love for nature and the health of our environment, I also dedicated 15 years to rehabilitating birds and wildlife that had fallen ill from environmental threats. Believing that health limitations can be overcome, and we can truly live without limits, my opportunities to help included teaching a blind bird to fly!
Coaching strategies, practices and milestones always are uniquely tailored for you, based on your goals, your pace and your specific needs. For example, these may include:
- Increasing positivity and flow of joy
- Mindfulness meditation and creative visualization
- Achieving peak mind-body performance
- Movement and exercises for mind-body integration
- Making exercise work for you
- Making your environment safe and healthy
- Balancing work, relationships and you
- Brain and Immune health for optimal living
- Clearing brain fog and improving memory
- Regulating your parasympathetic nervous system
- Reprogramming your “fight-flight” trauma response
- Reprogramming multiple chemical sensitivity
- Strategies for highly sensitive people
- Better ways for managing stress, anxiety & PTSD
- Non-medicinal modalities for managing pain
- Strategies for motivation and behavioral change
- Enhancing memory, attention and focus
- Intuitive eating and weight management
- Helping to heal reactivity and negative impulses
- Complex grief and loss of loved ones or pets
- Hope for healing chronic illness
- Empowerment and self-esteem building
My goal is to partner with you openly, collaboratively and compassionately to help you “learn to fly” toward new horizons of health and wellness.
How does Functional Medicine Health Coaching differ from standard health coaching?
Functional Medicine is the future of conventional medicine–available now. It seeks to identify and address the root causes of disease, and views the body as one integrated system, not a collection of independent organs divided up by medical specialties. It treats the whole system, not just the symptoms.
– Mark Hyman, MD, Director of the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine, Chairman of the Board, Institute for Functional Medicine)
As a trained Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, I apply Functional Medicine principles combined with positive psychology coaching techniques to:
- Educate and help clients understand their health care practitioner’s care plan for them
- Work directly with the client’s health care practitioner when appropriate
- Offer tools and hold clients accountable for implementing lifestyle changes
- Motivate and encourage clients with positive psychology techniques
- Guide clients through nutrition plans, diet changes and exercise/movement programs
- Monitor and support progress, and celebrate success.
How are sessions conducted?
I offer consultations by Zoom video conference, Face Time or phone.
How do I prepare for my first session?
Make sure you download the Acknowledgement of Health and Wellness exchange form, click here. In working with me, you will also need to download the above forms that I will review with you at your first session.
How long does each session last?
Each session typically lasts 50 minutes.
What is my investment?
You can work with me in a single session, or you can purchase a package of 4 sessions. The cost of a single session is $ 100, and a package of 4 sessions is $ 395.
How many sessions will I need to reach my goals?
That depends on you and the goals you have created, how much change you feel comfortable with to achieve your goals, and your rate of progress towards reaching those goals.
After each session, we will regularly revisit where you are relative to your plan and your comfort level with the types and pace of changes you are making. We will review and modify your progress milestones as appropriate to reach your goals based on realistic timelines.
Is it better to conduct sessions by video or phone?
This is entirely a personal preference. I am equally comfortable either way, and what and how we work together does not change whether I just hear your voice or see you on the screen. Some days you may be more comfortable just being on the phone for any number of reasons. And that’s always your choice.
What if my family and/or work schedule doesn’t allow for a regular schedule for our sessions?
That’s not a problem. The key is consistency with flexibility. If we agree that we will meet weekly, then we need to do our best to find the right day and time each week that works if we don’t have a standing schedule of a certain day and time every week. Cancellations are 24 hours in advance unless due to illness.